Office Apps - Alternatives for Microsoft Office 365

Office Apps - Alternatives for Microsoft Office 365  

By: ShaneCooper on May 3, 2023, 2:11 p.m.

Microsoft Office has become the defacto standard for most businesses and many home offices. It is likely many people do not know any other option exists outside of Microsoft, Apple and Google for word proccessing, spreadsheets and presentations. But unknown to many, there are actually quite a number of FOSS options avalible and some of them are just as capable if not more capable in some ways than the offerings of the big three.

Below is a selection of the top FOSS alternatives to the Big Tech options.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
LibreOffice - is the top choice and the most popular. It offers the following apps it its office suite.
* Writer - a modern, full-featured word processing and desktop publishing tool.
* Calc - a powerful spreadsheet program.
* Impress - for creating outstanding presentations.
* Draw - an excellent package for producing technical drawings, brochures, posters and many other documents.
* Base - a full-featured desktop database front end, providing native-support drivers for database engines like; MySQL/MariaDB, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL.
* Math - for making perfectly formatted mathematical and scientific formulas.
* Charts - create and embed pie charts, square and round columns, trend graphs, dots, 2D and 3D charts, and so much more...

LibreOffice is avalible for Linux, MacOS and Windows.

https://www.onlyoffice.com/
OnlyOffice - Create, edit, and collaborate on documents within any business platform. Althought, geared more toward business and enterprise. They do have solutions that individuals can make use of. https://www.onlyoffice.com/download-desktop.aspx?from=home-use OnlyOffice is an excellent solution for collaborating online with teams. Tends to have slightly better compatiublity with Microsoft Word than other options.

The OnlyOffice suit provides solutions for text documents, spreadsheets, presentations forms and PDF reader. They have versions for Linux, MacOS, Windows, Andriod and iOS.

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/
Collabora Office - sells themselves as the world's leading LibreOffice services provider. Offering LibreOffice based technology services to business and enterprise level companies in the way of online collaboration, consulting and security. They offer product levels CODE, Business and Enterprise. CODE is free to use for testing and home use.

They offer their LibreOffice versions of Writer, Clac, Impress and Draw which are avalible for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Andriod and iOS.

Shane Cooper

Last edited by: ShaneCooper on May 3, 2023, 2:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Office Apps - Alternatives for Microsoft Office 365  

By: peter.kripp on May 4, 2023, 11:59 a.m.

This is a great post and these are great alternatives. I've used Libre and it's an acceptable alternative that meets my needs. I've been held captive by Outlook from my career and didn't know how to replace it. I came across Thunderbird for my desktop in Ubuntu and I absolutely love this alternative, even more than Outlook. For my phone K9 has been a real good email client. I am loving the process of replacing Microsoft out of my life.

Re: Office Apps - Alternatives for Microsoft Office 365  

By: John on Aug. 30, 2023, 12:54 p.m.

There is an application for Linux / Mac / Windows named 'Prospect Mail' which provides the Outlook email client experience, without any Micro$oft bits involved. The interface very much resembles Outlook for those of us who prefer it ( I must use Outlook on my work Mac due to corporate policy ), one just needs to configure it properly to connect to their back end email server.

An overview can be found here, and one can download it for the appropriate operating system here.

I use it on a Linux Mint system, once it's running one can almost forget that it's not an official product from Micro$oft.

$0.02 worth,

-John

Last edited by: John on Aug. 30, 2023, 2:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.